Friday, March 4, 2011

Hearty dining

In my quest to get "fit" I am planning ahead and making my meals far in advance. The tried and true option for me is lasagna. Yes, it does have pasta and yes, there is a lot of cheese but...I have cut back on the number of slices as well as trying to tamper down the cheesy factor in my favorite recipe. Del, this goes out to you!


Why do I love it so much? Because a) it provides for at least three meals and b) each slice has 310 calories (or at least according to my Light Cooking cookbook). Hello, deliciousness:


Step 1: dice one onion and 3 zucchinis while pre-heating your oven to 350 degrees


Step 2: saute about 3 teaspoons of garlic (I use the pre-diced jar cause I'm lazy) in olive oil once the garlic has browned add in the onion and zucchini


Step 3: while the veggies are cooking, take half a box of lasagna noodles and boil for about 7 minutes (they don't need to be fully cooked, they will finish cooking in oven)


Step 4: add in one jar of whole tomatoes and one jar of crushed tomatoes to the veggies along with a few basil leaves and stir. Let simmer for about 10 minutes. 


Step 5: take 1 egg, basil leaves, ricotta cheese and a half cup of mozarella. Mix all ingredients. While mixing sprinkle in salt to liking.


Step 6: lay out strips of pasta (after thoroughly draining) in a veggie oil spread pan. Spread the cheese mix onto the strips and then generously ladle sauce on top. Repeat until you run out of strips, cheese and sauce.

Step 7: Sprinkle with mozarella & a bit of parmesan, pop into the oven for 30 minutes and...

Step 8: voila! Cheesy heaven. Cut, eat and toast with a sweet Moscato. 

By the way, this recipe is usually not veggie only. Unfortunately, the ground turkey I was going to use refused to thaw out in time for my allotted cooking time. Simply cook the turkey while sauteing (is this a word? spell check isn't picking it up) the garlic and onions before adding in the zucchini. It's awesome either way!

Any recipe suggestions folks? 




5 comments:

Delena said...

Yay!!!!!!!!! I think I will put this link on my blog if that is cool with you! I want to try this. I know you guys are starting to be all Irish and Anglophiles you should try my shepherds pie recipe, made with real shepherds no kidding made with ground turkey meat, Jonathan LOVES it. Putting that on my blog too!

Emily said...

Yum! I LOVE lasagna and will definitely have to try your recipe! I am always making my mom's recipe and it can feed us for a couple weeks if I make the full recipe. :)

Becca said...

http://texasproudsince1836.blogspot.com/2010/04/southern-phenomenon.html

http://texasproudsince1836.blogspot.com/2010/08/frito-bandito.html

Two ideas there. Chicken spaghetti (casserole) and chili.

I made something else the other night: Whole grain mac'n'cheese, pease and ground turky (cooked in oil and garlic, also from a jar, it's so easy!). It was tasty and froze well.

That lasagna looks amazing!!!

Francis said...

It really is that good.

Leila! said...

Okay, wow. Your pictures are inspiring! I am in!