Tuesday, July 31, 2012

minty fresh

I'm attempting to live by the "pauper dinner" mentality but, uh, I don't know of anyone (other than Oprah) that is able to create such elaborate meals for lunch. But, I think I finally nailed a dinner that would fit the bill!

It's light, filling and extremely fresh- perfect for these hot summer nights (iiiigghhhhtttt). 

Here's what you'll need:
  • 2 slices of pita bread
  • 1 cucumber (seeded & diced)
  • feta cheese
  • olive oil
  • balsamic vinegar
  • 1 lime
  • salt & pepper
  • fresh mint
  • salad 
Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees. While it's heating, cut the 2 pieces of pita bread into semi small pieces (I cut them into eighths). Place them in a pan and once your oven is ready, leave in for 15 minutes*. 

As you wait for the bread to bake, take a tablespoon of the vinegar, the olive oil and a whole lime's juice: whisk together in a small bowl & salt/pepper to taste. 

Once that is done, take a few (not many) fresh mint leaves, finely chop and set to the side. 

In a plate, arrange your salad and lightly sprinkle with the mint, feta cheese, and generously add in your cucumbers. Then take a small portion of the pita bread to top off before drizzling the dressing. 

From there, sit back and enjoy! The mint adds a literal cool flavor that (as lame as this is about to sound) subtly enhances the cucumber and cheese. I can see myself making this any weeknight when caught in a time crunch.

*I was tempted to skip the pita bread baking part and just substitute with regular pita chips but I am so happy I did not! The 15 minutes in the oven makes it so that the pita bread is still slightly soft & chewy on the inside with a crispness to its outside. Absolutely delicious! Not to mention that the whole thing took all of 20 minutes. As you can see, I added calories with my wine (I need to give it up) and...I ate some more of the pita chips while dunking it into jalapeno-cilantro TJ's humus (you MUST try it). 

Do you have any light/easy recipes you'd care to share?




2 comments:

Delena said...

Do I? I have tons and so easy. Like making your own hummus but use not just garbanzo beans you can use black beans, cannellini beans, whatever! One can of beans drained and rinsed ( drain bean water into a separate bowl you will use it), 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 garlic clove minced or chopped (I use 3 I love garlic), 2 tablespoons of tahini,salt and pepper to taste, juice from one lemon, Place in food processor and pour in bean water you got from can and process until smooth. Garnish with parsley and sprinkle with paprika, Done and Done. Easy!

Jess said...

Sounds yummy! We definitely have to keep it hot n fresh in this Houston heat!