Monday, January 23, 2012

attack of the green monster!

Today was the first attempt of the green monster smoothie. Verdict? Delicious. 


Due to the first day jitters (not work, but rather as a smoothie creator) it took a lot longer than I would have anticipated. Luckily I had woken up early enough to bypass my stumbles. Pitting a peach at 5 am? Sucks. 


I googled a few recipes of the green monster, thinking there would be one concise verdict. Other than the cup of spinach & the cup of greek yogurt, it seems that all fruits (and veggies) are up for grabs. I played it safe with:

  • 0% fat free greek yogurt 
  • 1 peach
  • 1 banana
  • 1/2 a cup of frozen blueberries (Kroger was out of fresh ones, apparently)
  • 6 strawberries
  • 1 cup of spinach (don't be scared)


Because pitting the peach seems like a potential time-trap in the future, I am going seek a substitution for it next week. Or, if nothing else, a frozen bag of peaches. 

Little did I know that the blender Fran & I had registered for (which up to now has been used almost exclusively for salsas) had a 'smoothie' option. Whoa. Blow my mind cool! It had a countdown & all weird bursts of speed that had me frantically hitting the off button at first. The end result was Jamba Juice worthy.

I'm not going to lie. It was a little weird to suck up my breakfast. In fact, it took me so long to down it while attempting to read my latest romance (oh-so-good! read it) that I ended up taking the cup into the bathroom as I did my hair & makeup. 

Ultimately though, I felt full all the way up to lunch (which, I know according to the experts you're not supposed to do but as a teacher I don't really have the luxury of sneaking snacks every two hours). It could be in my head but I did feel more energized. Popeye was right. There's one cartoon that didn't fully lie to us. 

I'm going to attempt experimenting with different fruits & perhaps oats next week. I saw a recipe that had honey added into the mix & if there's one thing this gal loves, it's honey. Any smoothie ideas, please send my way!

PS: note to self- invest in more durable, less trendy, straws.

3 comments:

Delena said...

I tried it this morning and it was DELICIOUS!!! Do the frozen peaches, easier to just dump then peel and cut!

Becca said...

Frozen fruit in general is good to go. Just be sure to buy organic and check to see where they are getting the fruit from. Or prep on the weekend. Pit peaches, peel papaya, wash blueberries and store in sealed containers. It also doesn't hurt to double the recipe, split into two glasses and you've got your ready-made smoothie to-go the next morning!

I add papaya because it is an excellent digestive aid. I also use carrots and focus very strongly on blueberries [they are amazing for us!]. Pineapple for flavor and strawberries for antioxidants plus cranberries or cranberry juice for all their healthy additives!

I use OJ to help liquify and make the smoothie easier to drink. Make sure to buy OJ that only uses US oranges. Not that I'm saying other countries don't produce fabulous fruit, they just don't have as rigorous of fruit/veggie laws as 'merica.

I drink my breakfast daily and it is fabulous! My friend Catherine adds oats and they help with maintaining the feeling of being full, too. Steel cut, organic of course. Nice and expensive, but the body respects it!

Emily said...

Yum! Must try this.